Sunday, June 5, 2016

Event 2

For my second event I visited the Getty Center in Los Angeles. Here I focused my time on the exhibition they have right now called Cave Temples of Dunhuang: Buddhist Art on China’s Silk Road. It was very interesting to see the different caves and the very intricate paintings and sculptures that were created. They had many exhibits but I had limited time and could not wait for hours in line. The main exhibit I visited included a three dimensional movie showing what the inside of cave 45 looked like. This started with a short movie that showed pictures of what the area looks like, its wildlife (flora and fauna), some cave paintings, and more. These images really helped to paint a picture of what China was like, and helped me to get into the mindset of what I was about to step into.

There were no pictures allowed inside of the 3-D movie so I will have to try my best to explain it to you. This cave’s main feature was a set of sculptures that were of deities with a Buddha in the center.  Each sculpture had such great detail with exquisite paintings on them as well. One deity for example had demons at their feet because this one was supposed to keep the demons away.
 

On either side of the main sculpture there were many many paintings. These depicted the many situations that those who are presented in the cave can help a person solve. It is amazing how art can help somebody figure out their problems just like the many experiments done in biotechnology and nanotechnology that help to understand life better.

I really enjoyed this exhibit, I think that the 3-D experience really helped me to become more immersed in the cave, like I was actually there.



No comments:

Post a Comment